Saturday, January 19, 2008

Keeping it Clean

My boys' main goal in life is to destroy all evidence that at least one clean person lives in our home. They spend exactly 92% of their waking hours working on this task...pretty dedicated workers if you ask me.

My secret weapon? Turn on tornado mode and follow the boys everywhere picking up everything in their wake. Gets me lots of exercise and keeps everything picked up.

If you would rather expend less energy, try some of these simple tips to creating the illusion of a clean home:

Create hidden toddler size spaces...
Couches at right angle with toddler size space where they meet, hide toys in the back corner. This enables me to just chuck toys at the corner throughout the day and sort through them every week or two.

Shut doors...
This idea probably seems like a no brainer to most of you, but shut doors to rooms you want to keep your kids out of. I know, it seems crazy, but generally (with the help of safety door knobs) it actually works. I used to think, I don't want to shut my doors. The kids should just learn to stay out of the rooms they aren't suposed to be in. Ha. Keeping doors shut allows a lot of rooms to stay clean all day.

Make beds...
By making beds, you really help bedrooms to look much neater.

Wipe off counters and keep them clutter free...
If you don't allow the clutter then you never have to pick it up. Have places where mail, homework, etc are put so they don't end up on counters.

Add some scent...
Burning a yummy candle is always fun. Or just splashing some cleaner in the sink will make it smell like you just scrubbed something. =]

Keep it simple and do what works best for you and your family to make your home a happy house of order!

No comments: